Does drinking alcohol affect muscle building? The study shows that alcohol prevents muscle growth and your post-exercise recovery process. How? Building your muscles while drinking alcohol is impossible to achieve because of the following reasons:
1. Interferes with muscle growth. Alcohol affects protein that activates muscle growth. Too much alcohol consumption will result to decrease muscle weight because it slows down protein synthesis.
2. Will slow down your progress. It’s hard to build muscles when drinking alcohol because it will increase your body’s creatine kinase level. Creatine is the enzyme that signals tissue damage.
3. Slows down metabolism. When you drink 24 grams of alcohol (equivalent to two drinks) it slows down fat metabolism by 73%. This was due to the fact that your body will burn alcohol first as fuel instead of calories. That’s a bad thing if you want to bulk up.
4. Increases weight. People who drink looks flabby and have belly fats. Why? Alcohol contains calories and by drinking, you will gain more weight instead of building muscles. Alcohol can add 100 to 165 calories in serving.
5. Speeds up dehydration. Alcohol is a diuretic which means it can lead the body to dehydration. Alcoholic drinks cause your body to lose three percent more body fluid. Too much alcohol will decrease blood flow to the muscles and will cause slow body recovery.